|Near Kelso Scotland||| scottish borders ||
|| HOME | LOCATION | HISTORY | FACILITIES | CONTACT ||
Information on the village of Yetholm, near Kelso in Scotland.
The parish report for the Second Statistical Account, prepared by the Rev John Baird, about the year 1840, records:
'The parish church is situated in Kirk Yetholm, and no part of the population is distant from it more than two miles. It is a very wretched and inefficient building. An addition, larger than the original church, was built to the west of it in 1609. The age of the east end is unknown. It is much too small for the population. Usually, it is most uncomfortably crowded, and still one-third of the church-going population are unable to find accommodation. It is but fair, however, to state, that a considerable number of those who attend the Established church are from the English border, the inhabitants of which are generally Scotch and Presbyterians. The church affords accommodation for only 400; the population being nearly 1300. It is most inconvenient in point of shape, being nearly 80 feet long, and from 17 to 20 broad. But, as this goes to press, the heritors have given their consent to the erection of a new church, which it is hoped, will be commenced early in spring. The heritors have lately provided liberally for the accommodation of the minister, by repairing and building a large addition to the old manse (built in 1788) and it is now a very commodious and even handsome building. The glebe is generally considered to consist of from 18 to 20 acres, about one-half of which is excellent land. The amount of stipend is 14 chalders, and £8. 6s. 8d for communion elements. The last augmentation was granted in 1820. The valued rent of the parish is £7049. 13s. 4d. Scots.
Rutherford records, in 1866, that the Parish was in the Presbytery of Kelso, Synod of Merse and Teviotdale. The Patron was Andrew Wauchope of Niddrie.
The Established Church (Kirk-Yetholm) - Rev Adam Davidson MA (Inducted 1862). Sittings, 700. Sabbath School attendance, 140.
Free Church (Town-Yetholm) - Rev John Coventry (Inducted 1862). Sittings, 400. Sabbath School attendance, 90.
United Presbyterian Church (Town-Yetholm) - vacant. Sittings 450. Sabbath School Attendance, 80. 
Fast Days - generally an early Wednesday in January and July - unfixed.
Back to: Articles